The church organ was built in 1882 by one of the leading British organ builders of the
Victorian era, Thomas C. Lewis of London. Lewis built in a conservative style for the period, making
instruments with bright and clear choruses strongly influenced by the Classical German school of organ
building as well as the more Romantic French style.
The organ has survived to this day almost entirely unaltered, a significant factor in
the award of a £30,000 grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund for major restoration work in 2002.
This work was carried out by Rushworth and Dreaper of Edinburgh, a firm which has maintained the organ
over a long period.
The British Institute of Organ Studies
The organ in Broughton St Mary's Parish Church, Edinburgh, Scotland has been awarded a
certificate Grade 1 in recognition of it being an outstanding instrument by T.C.Lewis 1882, in original
It is therefore listed in the Institute's Register of Historic Pipe Organs as being an
instrument of importance to the national heritage and one deserving careful preservation for the benefit
of future generations.